What do you most wish for this holiday season? Peace on earth? Good health for your family members? Financial security? What if you could eliminate stress and simply take pleasure in the holiday season? What a gift that would be!
A caregiver can experience stress at all times of the year, but caregiver stress during the holidays can be at an all-time high. There are ways, however, to alleviate holiday stress and truly enjoy the beauty, warmth, and love of the season. Our care experts recommend the following small steps that can make a big difference.
- Make new traditions. If you have always been the one to host large family holiday gatherings, consider passing the baton to another person. If the thought of hauling out each and every holiday decoration is overwhelming, choose several of your favorite items and leave the remainder in the attic this year. Find strategies to simplify and establish new traditions that place less pressure on you.
- Release the pressure of gifting. Searching for the perfect gift for everyone on your extended friends and family list can consume a great deal of your holiday time (and money!). There are lots of fun ways to simplify the process. For example, have each family member choose a name and purchase a gift for that person only. Then plan a potluck dinner with each person bringing a favorite dish and exchanging gifts.
- Be open and honest. You don’t have to hide what you’ve been through this year. Let family and close friends in on the struggles your loved one is facing and how it is impacting you. Sharing from the heart with those you trust to listen and understand is an incredible relief in and of itself.
- Keep your mind on the positive. Gratitude is a great tool for changing your mood and outlook. Create a simple gratitude journal in which you record what you’re most thankful for, and spend time every day reading through and reflecting on the list, adding to it as new thankful thoughts arise.
- Ask for help. Caregiving should never be a solo endeavor. Taking regular breaks for self-care benefits both the individual in your care and yourself. Let family and friends know exactly what they can do to help, and then do not hesitate to accept that support. Our caregivers are always available to help as well!
How Can Our Services Help?
Our caregivers are alleviating stress for families like yours every day—during the holiday season and throughout the year! Our services are highly customized to allow seniors and their family members to choose the tasks they would like help with, while maintaining what they prefer to do themselves.
Email or call Golden Harmony at 919-426-7522 for a free consultation to find out how we can partner with you in caring for someone you love in Raleigh, Cary, Apex, and Wake Forest, as well as the surrounding areas. Then take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy every precious moment with those you love!