The world around you might be resolving to lose 10 pounds, exercise more, and eat healthier, but if you are caring for someone with Alzheimer’s, perhaps just getting through each day is challenging enough. The very thought of striving to improve upon any section of your life during this unsettling time can be overwhelming.
At Golden Harmony, our experts in elder care in Raleigh, NC and the surrounding areas want to offer you some encouragement. We realize the work you’re doing can be both frustrating and rewarding, and we’re here to support you by any means we can. To start, we’ve gathered some resolutions just for dementia caregivers that will actually help make your journey a little bit easier.
What Resolutions Are Good for a Dementia Caregiver?
Take a good deep breath and a few moments to consider the following:
- Designate time for self-care. We know; this might be easier said than done. But taking time for yourself is a must to both your overall health and that of the individual you are caring for. It doesn’t have to be anything complicated or extensive, unless you would like it to be. Merely carving out a few hours once weekly for an activity you like can provide the rejuvenation you need. A dependable friend or family member can fill in while you’re away, or contact Golden Harmony for a skilled, experienced caregiver to help.
- Forgive yourself. Understand that you’re human, and there will be times that you wish you had handled a situation in a different way. Resolve that this is the year that you completely let go of any guilt, and instead remind yourself that you are doing the very best you can to make life better for the person you love.
- Remind yourself that you know what is best. Family caregivers can find themselves in the middle of well-intentioned people who wish to offer advice. While their ideas may work effectively for others, they may not be suitable in your situation. Listen respectfully to any recommendations offered and thank the person for the idea, but then ultimately trust your judgment in making the ideal care decisions for your circumstances.
For a trusted partner in dementia care, and for some further helpful resources, contact Golden Harmony any time. We’ll be very happy to visit with you in your home at no cost to talk about the challenges you are facing and to offer creative strategies to help, such as:
- Transportation and accompaniment to outings and appointments
- Providing engaging conversations and activities to keep both mind and body active
- Planning and preparing meals in accordance with individual preferences
- Assistance with wandering, agitation, aggression, repetitive behaviors, sundowning, and much more
- Support as needed with personal hygiene tasks, while encouraging independence
- And much more