While COVID-19 continues to dominate our health concerns, it is important to remember that other illnesses can be equally as dangerous, particularly for seniors. Flu season is here, and it is time to make certain the seniors you adore are protected.
There are a number of different flu shots for seniors available, some that are specifically targeted for older adults. These include:
- High-dose vaccines
- Adjuvanted vaccines
- Intradermal vaccines
- Nasal spray vaccines
Typically, adults age 65 and over are encouraged to receive either an adjuvanted or high-dose shot, but speak with the physician for his or her advice.
If a senior is hesitant to receive the seasonal flu vaccine, the following are some key reasons to educate them on why it is so important:
- The immune system weakens as we age, making it more difficult to recover from infections.
- Serious complications from the flu tend to be more frequent in the elderly.
- 85% of flu-related deaths and up to 70% of flu-related hospitalizations occur in those age 65 and older.
- Secondary infections, for example, sinus and ear infections, bronchitis, and even pneumonia, can develop from contracting influenza.
In addition to receiving the seasonal flu vaccine, seniors can boost their immunity by:
- Maintaining a healthy and balanced diet that includes foods rich in vitamin C, D, and zinc, as well as complex carbs and lean proteins.
- Staying physically active with regular exercise every day. Thirty minutes per day is ideal, and can be broken down into smaller portions throughout the day.
- Keeping the environment clean and sanitized. A HEPA filter can also help with improving indoor air quality.
- Improving sleep habits, striving for eight hours of sleep every night. Setting a routine at bedtime to include calming activities, limiting technology and TV, and keeping the room dark and cool are all techniques to help.
Remember that following COVID-19 safety recommendations can help with preventing other illnesses as well. Wash hands frequently, practice physical distancing, wear a face covering, and steer clear of large crowds.
Golden Harmony’s caregivers are available to help! Let us provide accompaniment and transportation to medical appointments and to receive a flu shot, in addition to our full range of in-home care services. We are available to also prepare wholesome and nutritious meals, motivate older adults to engage in regular exercise, and more. Make the first step towards improving overall health by contacting us online or at 919-426-7522 to learn more about our trusted home and personal care in Raleigh, NC and to request a complimentary in-home consultation. Visit our Communities Served page to find out where we provide care in the Triangle.