There’s frequently nothing “routine” about a routine checkup. You may arrive to your appointment perfectly fine but leave with orders for blood work, along with other lab tests the doctor recommends to keep you as healthy as possible. These tests might be nothing more than a small inconvenience for you, however, health screenings for older adults may be challenging for several reasons: transportation problems, mobility issues, thinner skin, fragile veins, cognitive difficulties, and much more.
There are steps you can take to advocate for and help an older adult to maneuver health screening tests more easily. For example:
- In the event that the senior needs to have a test done outside of the home, call ahead to the facility where it will be performed. Find answers to any specific questions you may have about drop-off location, parking, the optimal time of day to schedule for the test, etc.
- Providing a urine or stool sample can be difficult. Ask the doctor for any guidelines to help make the process less difficult, such as a receptacle to position over the toilet as opposed to using a cup. Ensure the bathroom floor is dry and clean and that any bathmats or throw rugs are removed, and encourage the person to hold onto a grab bar during the collection process to prevent a fall.
- Find out if tests can be performed in the individual’s home. Home health care is becoming an extremely viable option for blood work and other tests.
How Can Home Care Help an Older Adult Who Needs Health Screening Tests?
An in-home caregiver from Golden Harmony can:
- Provide transportation and accompaniment to medical appointments, tests, and procedures, while assisting with mobility support as needed
- Help the individual to get settled safely back at home afterwards, and provide companionship and oversight to watch for any changes in condition that should be reported
- Take notes to make sure doctors’ orders are understood and followed
- Pick up prescriptions and provide medication reminders to make certain that meds are taken exactly as prescribed
- And so much more
Many people feel more comfortable receiving assistance for sensitive medical matters from a trained professional. Our caregivers are skilled in discreet and respectful support with personal care needs, allowing household members to step back and supply the senior loved one with privacy.
Reach out to Golden Harmony, a top provider of home care in Wake Forest and nearby areas, at 919-426-7522 to arrange for the support needed for someone you love. We offer a free in-home consultation that will help you understand your options, so contact us today!